Monday, October 21, 2013

Biryani Chicken


Since being back in Australia I do seem to have time to learn to cook and bake again!


Something I have always enjoyed, but during the five + years we spent in Singapore, no baking and very little cooking was done at all. Eating out was 'at least' a five night a week experience. Not that I am complaining mind .... it was just a very different way of life.

That was life of an expat!

So since the new oven, stove and kitchen has been completed I have had them working overtime with the baking and cooking I have been 'playing around with'.  I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, its just something I enjoy.

Yesterdays meal was my Biryani Chicken.

I accidentally fell across this tasty meal when I decided to cook one night back in Singapore. There were two chicken breasts in the refrigerator and some spices and oil in the cupboard and had to think what to do with the little that was there. This is the result which we also had last night ....


below: two chicken breasts. Remove skin.

below: slice into finger lengths as seen here:




below: here is the seasoning I use. A Biryani Spice Mix for rice!

I purchased this at Mustafa's in Singapore and brought back a few with me to Australia. I paid $1.70 SGD (or about $1.34 AUD). I would imagine it to be available in most Indian grocery outlets. (I have since seen similar in International grocery stores)



below: empty the complete pack into a bowl and break up the lumps. It wont be completely 'lump free' but easier to use.



below: roll each chicken piece in the Biryani Spice Mix.



below: once all chicken pieces are well covered, place them back in the bowl and leave them for at least 30 minutes.



below: preheat the stove top pan, place a small amount of light Olive Oil on then add each chicken piece.


below: as each piece cooks, turn over.




below: serve with salad or vegetables.




This is not only a very quick and easy dish to prepare, but also very tasty.  It maybe too spicy to serve to young children though.  We had a few pieces of the Chicken Biryani left over and had it sliced in a sandwich for lunch the following day.

If you cannot locate Biryani Spice Mix at a store nearby, be adventurous and try some other spice mix using the above method.

Biryani Spices are usually found in large supermarkets in the "International Section" or in any Indian Grocery Store.


have tasty fun!!



this blog post had 281 readers from
June 2012 till moving it across to this site in October 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment